Jan 9, 2012

Music Monday: "Mal'chik Gey"

     t.A.T.u. was a Russian duo. Luckily for me, a lot of their music is available in English (Russian isn't very high on my list of languages to learn). I feel the need to explain the name, since it kinda looks like I can't type very well. The random case changes are correct; apparently there was another Russian band called Tatu, so instead of getting a more original name they decided to go mental with what they already had.

     Another interesting tidbit about this duo: they act(ed) like lesbians. There are album covers that feature these women kissing. The guy who started the project essentially wanted big scandals, so he made it seem like the girls were together. Neither was a lesbian. Interesting? Yes, it is.

     Anywho, I originally heard this song in English. My roommate/bestie has the tendency to find strange music, get hooked on it, and blast it constantly. Soon I was hooked, too. This English version is what I have on my iPod, since it's easier to sing along to.


     After watching that, you'll get the general idea of the song, which is helpful when you're trying to decipher the original version. I found a more literal translation, but it's a bit jumbled. Now, I know absolutely zero Russian (unless "vodka" counts), so I only have translations for reference. I've seen native Russian speakers online who say that the English version doesn't do justice to the actual meaning of the song. Is that true? I really have no way of knowing. I do know, though, that I enjoy the "real" song better.

     Oh, and you may want to ignore the words on this next video. They can be difficult to read anyway, because they're in white font over that pale chick. It's an attempt to translate, but since those words aren't what you're hearing, it can really confuse you. Or maybe that's just me. Besides, who wants to see "Gay boy, boy, boy, boy, gay boy" while rocking out?


     Also, check out this other song by the same duo. This post is supposed to focus on just one song, so I'll control myself and refrain from posting the video. You only get the link. But really, go listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! So you want to leave a comment? Sweet. Please keep it...oh, let's say PG. Don't insult me or others, or the comment will be deleted without any hesitation. That being said, constructive criticism is more than welcome. Thanks. :)