Nov 7, 2011

Music Monday: Effington

     There are a handful of singers out there whose voices have quite an interesting effect on me. These guys (they're always guys; I haven't figured out why) can completely mellow me out. Anything that comes out of their mouths throws this blanket of calm over me. It's great. When I'm in my little pit of despair, all I have to do is put on some tunes, and I'm brought back up to the level of normal people.

     One of these guys is Ben Folds. I mentioned in last weeks Music Monday post that I enjoy watching The Sing-Off, right? (Yes, I did.) Well, he's one of the judges. I swear, that show takes everything I've already seen and reminds me of how awesome it is. That was such a pretty paragraph. I'm running on 2 hours of sleep here; work with me.

     Folds always seemed like one of those musicians that my dad would listen to. That's not my commentary on my father's musical taste, but on Folds' (Folds's? Foldssss's's''s!)...oldness. Now I sound mean. Look, the guy's older than my parents and has been active in the music industry since before I was born. He's old. Deal with it. (I've already explained my "thing" for older guys, so this should in no way be held against him. Heheh...)

     Enough with the drivel; here's this week's song:


     You can probably tell by now that I'm slightly immature. The use of "effing" in this song never fails to make me giggle. I'm giggling right now, and I'm not even listening to the song. Heheheh, effing...it's okay, normal people do it too.

     Songs this song reminds me of:
  1. The theme from The Simpsons
  2. Pokemon battle music
  3. A Praise Chorus by Jimmy Eat World
  4. Something from Disney that I can't quite remember
  5. Weasel Stomping Day by Weird Al
  6. The theme from Peanuts

     Yes, I expect you to go listen to all of those. I have no clue why my mind makes the jumps it does. That fun list means that the mental "movie" I've come up with for Effington is an unholy conglomeration of yellow people, claymation, and mutated animals. So, it's basically like the rest of my thoughts.

     The first verse of this song mirrors exactly my train of thought on car trips. If there's anything slightly strange about a town's name, I judge everyone in that town for it. It doesn't help that I'm quite dense sometimes; I frequently have to remind myself that the sign labelled "Farmer's Sharkey" is referring to 2 different towns. Why does the farmer own a shark? Is he a shark farmer? He raises sharks and trains them to farm, doesn't he?

     Then again, who hasn't wondered what would happen if they strayed from the expected path? I could stop driving down this interstate and check out this little town. What would I find? I don't want to go where I'm supposed to. I want to go to Effington.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! So you want to leave a comment? Sweet. Please keep it...oh, let's say PG. Don't insult me or others, or the comment will be deleted without any hesitation. That being said, constructive criticism is more than welcome. Thanks. :)